Pre Hung Doors Information
A pre-hung door is a door that is already hanging in its own frame. It's an all-in-one package that ensures the smoothest possible installation of your door. The main parts of a pre-hung door are: solid wood jambs, weather-stripping, hinges, door shoe and sill.
If your scenario is one of the following:
- No existing door frame
- The existing door frame is damaged
- New construction
Please note: When installing an exterior door, unless you are a pro, it's extremely hard to tight-fit an exterior slab door. Pre-hung doors come with weather-stripping and are tight-fitting off the shelf. A tight-fit door can save you up to 30% off your energy bill. A slab door is just a rectangular slab of wood. It has no hinges or hardware. It is up to you to attach it to the frame.
Pre-hung orders will be delivered knocked down (disassembled) to prevent damage during transit.
What should you consider when selecting a pre-hung option?
- If your door is separating the inside of the house from the outside, select exterior pre-hung. Otherwise, select interior pre-hung.
- Make sure to select the right configuration. We have various pre-hung configurations including single door, double doors, double doors with two sidelites, etc.
- Match the wood species of the door to the jambs.
- Select the correct height of the pre-hung based on the door’s height. Pre-hung prices vary based on height not width.
You need to know the measurements of the door rough opening to install a pre-hung door.
How to accurately measure rough opening:
- Measure the widths between the studs of the entryway 3 times; from the highest points of the opening, the center points, and the lowest points. Record the smallest width of the 3 measurements.
- Measure the height (from the floor to the highest point of the opening) on both sides and record the smallest measurement of the 2.
Configurations and Rough Opening
|Exterior Pre-Hung||Interior Pre-Hung|
Door Orientation (view from outside of the house)
Pre-hung Image Gallery