Discover the door to your world!
Contact Us
1-877-929-3667 Email Support
Call, Email, Support
My Cart 0

Common Industry Terminology

Knowing the basic components of a door will help you understand your options. Then, you can confidently communicate your unique vision to us.

Active Door The primary door used in a double door configuration. This door will also contain the operational handle set.
Adjustable Threshold Also known as adjustable sill is a threshold that can adjust up or down to seal the door.
Astragal (T-Astragal) A "T" shaped component that is attached to the passive door. Astragals are kerfed for weatherstrip to seal the gap between the two doors. In addition, top and bottom flushbolts are mortised into the astragal to hold the inactive door in place.
Backset The distance from the edge of the door to the center of the lock bore hole.
Ball Bearing Hinge A heavier-duty hinge equipped with ball bearings between the hinge knuckles to reduce friction. Mainly used with exterior doors to provides smoother and quieter operation.
Brickmould A decorative moulding used to trim the outside edge of a door frame to conceal the seam between the door frame and the wall edges.
Came/Caming A metal strip typically made of Brass or Zinc, which is used to hold pieces of glass in place. Used for more decorative designs.
Casing A decorative moulding used to trim the inside edge of a door frame to conceal the seam between the door frame and the wall edges.
Deadbolt A security lock that requires a key to open from the exterior side of the door.
Door Stop The part of the frame upon which the door panel rests when closed.
Dutch Door A door usually exterior, with an upper and lower section that can be opened separately.
Finger Joint A way of joining short sections of board stock together, end to end to make longer stock. Door and frame parts are often made using finger-jointed pine stock.
Flushbolt A bolt that is flush with the face or edge of the door when retracted.
Inactive Door That door of a pair of doors which the strike is fastened to receive the latch of the active door. Inactive door is hinged and can be operable when releasing the flushbolts that holds it in place.
Jamb The top and two sides posts of of a doorway.
Lock Rail An intermediate horizontal member of a door, between the vertical stiles, at the height of the lock.
Lockset The complete handle set with locking system.
Mortise and Tenon Joint A type of joint where the end of one of the members is inserted into a hole cut in the other member. The end of the first member is called the tenon, and it is usually narrowed with respect to the rest of the piece. The hole in the second member is called the mortise. The joint may be glued, pinned, or wedged to lock it in place.
Mull Cover A mould which covers the mull post.
Mullion A piece of hardware made of wood, which divides the opening of a pair of doors.
Muntin A short vertical or horizontal bar used to separate panes of glass in a window or panels in a door. The muntin extends from a stile, rail, or bar to another bar.
Panel The area on a stile and rail door that is surrounded by the stiles and rails. (Ex. 6 panel door)
Pre-Hung Doors or combinations of doors and sidelights put together with jambs, hinges, threshold, T-Astragal, and trim to make a total working door system (a unit).
Rabbet A cut along the jambs that allows the door to fit into. Rough Opening: Dimensions of the opening in the framework of the home required to install a complete door unit. (Allowing1/2" clearance on top and each side for stabilization shims)
Rail A horizontal bar of wood that connects the vertical bars, called stiles, in a door.
Raised Panel A door panel on which the edges have been contoured or shaped to provide an aesthetically appealing, three-dimensional effect.
Rough Opening An unfinished opening where a window or door will be installed. Usage: Rough openings are lined by wood members; the top one is the "header" and the side ones are the "trimmers."
Sidelite Are the side panels beside a door, typically filled with glass for decoration and to allow light.
Sill A horizontal beam below the door that supports the frame.
Slab Door only. No frames, jambs or parts added to make the door operate.
Stiles The two outer vertical wood pieces of a door panel. The inner stile (i.e., the stile nearest the axis about which the door swings) is called the hinge stile; the outer stile is called the lock stile.
Strike plate A metal plate or box which is set in a door jamb and is either pierced or recessed to receive the bolt or latch of a lock.
Tempered Glass A glass that has been processed by controlled thermal or chemical treatments to increase its strength compared with normal glass. Tempered glass is made by processes which create balanced internal stresses which give the glass strength. It will usually shatter into small fragments instead of sharp shards when broken, making it less likely to cause severe injury and deep lacerations.
Threshold (Sill) The part of the door unit which is attached to the floor under the door.
Transom A horizontal cross piece window over a door.
Transom A decorative window directly above a door.
Trim A strip placed over the face of a door jamb for decorative purposes.
True Divided Lite Doors that contain individual panes of glass and are assembled in the sash using muntins. Also known as TDL.
Weatherstripping The process of sealing openings such as doors, windows, and trunks from the elements.The goal of weatherstripping is to prevent rain and water from entering by either blocking it out right or by blocking most of it and returning or rerouting it. A secondary goal of weatherstripping is to keep interior air in, thus saving energy with heating and air conditioning.